British Gas launches free Homecharge Unit & POLAR membership scheme
Jointly funded through British Gas and the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles, the free package is being made available until 31st March 2015 and includes:
- Installation of a home charge point (a 16 Amp data-enabled Wall Box to help track energy use) and an earthing connection for ensured safety
- Access to the POLAR network of over 1,800 public charging points until the end of March 2014.
- A home-suitability survey by a fully trained British Gas electrician offering installation on the same day
- Access to Chargevision online account management and smart phone app to help keep track of energy use.
- Three-year charge point warranty and three year parts and labour warranty
Andreas Atkins, head of electric vehicle services at British Gas, said: ‘This offer is a milestone for the UK’s electric vehicle market. The number of electric vehicles on the road is predicted to hit 1.5m by 2020 and the Government-funding scheme which makes this offer possible is doing a lot to help reduce the cost of owning an EV even further.
‘As the offer is open to anyone it’s a great time for the friends or family of EV drivers to install electric vehicle charge points at their homes. For example, if someone is making a regular journey to and from a relative’s house then having a charge point at both destinations could be worthwhile.’
David Martell, chief executive of Chargemaster Plc, which is providing access to the POLAR network, added: ‘Providing free Homecharge Units and free membership of POLAR is a great opportunity for EV owners to get the most out of their electric motoring.’
To receive this free offer drivers will need an O2 data network connection which will be used to collect the usage data. To find out more, visit www.britishgas.co.uk/electricvehicles